Photographer having an accident

Photographer Insurance

Get covered by a top UK insurer.

Photographic equipment is expensive so it needs to be insured, but what if you accidentally cause someone to be injured - or get sued because a clients' precious wedding photos are ruined? You may still need the usual business covers of course, and if you employ anyone employers liability insurance is probably a legal requirement.

UK Photographer Insurers

Photoguard Insurance Symbol


Photoguard will insure just about any type of camera against theft or accidental damage for professional or amateur photographers, or even just hobbyists, including their equipment. Owners must be UK residents. Taking still or movie shots from drones is now common and so these can be covered too, but not for business or commercial use. Overseas use can be included in a policy and you can even protect your cameras (only) when they are lent - not hired - to a friend. Public liability is standard and you can increase the sum you are covered for but you may find a high level of cover for North America to be a bit difficult. They cover cameras and public liability and do not provide any other form of business insurance. Photoguard is a trading name of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd which is past of PIB group, brokers that concentrate on niche and specialist insurance products.

Click here to visit the site

Policybee Insurance Symbol


PolicyBee are a small brokerage compared to their competitors - in fact that they are reputed to have begun in a garden shed (although they are a lot bigger now, and are coverholders at Lloyds). They say their size gives them an advantage since they can offer a more personalised service to their clients. They provide a range of insurance products, each one tailored to particular businesses or professions, including photographers. Cover is provided by underwriters such as Hiscox, Ansvar and AXA which means that there is a wide choice of commercial covers that you can include with your policy, including not only cover for your camera and accessories but also public liability, employers liability, professional indemnity, cyber insurance and personal accident. Simple policies can be bought online or you can ring them for a discussion about just what you need, and get a quote.

Click here to visit the site

Markel Insurance Symbol

Markel UK

Markel UK is part of Markel International, an international insurance company which is itself part of Markel Corporation, a US based company listed on the New York Stock Exchange with over $33 billion of assets. They can underwrite policies via their Lloyds syndicate, amongst others. They claim to have 25 years experience of providing insurance for photographers and can not only cover cameras and equipment for theft, damage and loss but can also provide cover against business risks such as professional indemnity, public liability, employers liability, office and equipment cover, directors and officers insurance (this insures against allegations of wrongful acts), cyber and data risks, and legal expenses. They will not cover the use of drones for any purpose however. Policies can be bought online.

Click here to visit the site

AADUK Insurance Symbol


AADUK focus on the insurance needs of professional photographers so they may not be the right people for amateur or hobby snappers to approach. They are brokers with a panel of insurers and rather than offer standard policies they prefer to tailor make each one to the individual customer. these policies can provide covers, amongst others, for equipment, including costumes and sets; public and employers liability; professional indemnity; and international usage. They will not, however, cover mobile phones (even if they are use for video shoots) or drones, and they can only insure professional photographers based in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. They can however offer assistance with film and TV insurance, and travel risks such as kidnap and ransom. AADUK is owned by J N Dobbin Limited (founded 1951) which in turn is owned by chartered insurance brokers and investments specialists MRIB Limited (which has rebranded as Parners&). They claim to be recommended by Societies of Photographers, a group of organisations in the photography field.

Click here to visit the site

Ripe Insurance Symbol

Ripe Insurance Services

Ripe Insurance Services, previously known as JRW Services, was formed in 2002 as a broker specialising in niche products. In the year ending December 2020 they turned over more than £18 million and their policies are underwritten by Aviva. They can arrange policies for amateurs, start ups, professionals and videographers, and they have policies tailored to the particular needs of each of these groups. Cover for international travel and for tablets and mobile phones can be arranged as extras to standard policies. As of mid 2020 drone insurance was not available but it was a planned package, for both amateur and professional use.

Click here to visit the site

Important! Please read our disclaimer.
Suggestions, corrections, requests for inclusion? Contact us!

Home       About Us       Privacy Policy      Terms & Conditions

Copyright © 2021 Prudent Plus Ltd All Rights Reserved
All logos are the copyrighted property of their respective owners.
ukinsurancedirectory.co.uk is a trading style of Prudent Plus Ltd of Booths Hall, Booths Park, Chelford Road Knutsford WA16 8GS. Our company is registered in England no. 10104295.

We are registered with the Financial Conduct Authority; reference number: 765239

British Insurance Brokers Association Logo

Members: British Insurance Brokers Association

Our opening hours are: Monday to Thursday 9.00am to 6.00pm; Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm; Saturday 9.00am to 12.30pm. Closed Sundays.

However; our website is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (we give it a day off every leap year)!

We do not give financial advice on this website. If in doubt get professional advice and always read the policy information before purchasing an insurance contract.